Watching the events unfurl and listening to the birdsong in the morning in a plane-free West London has started to get me thinking about the impact of this volcano thing on social innovation and social software in the enterprise. I was part of a big shift in social software use in corporate-ville at the end of the dot.com boom where e-learning software such as the online classroom transmogrified into online meetings. The driver then was cost – cut down air travel at all costs.
A similar impetus is present with the suspension of flights in Europe. So some thoughts on the impact of enterprise social networks.
- Enterprise social network and related software – online meetings, video conferencing and TelePresence used to overcome the lack of flights.
- Work based networks connect up stranded employees -shows importance of software in crisis management
- Work based networks connect up stranded employees – self help networks formed
- Up to date info and help/discussion for stranded employees – shows how enterprise social networks overcomes issue of swamped out call centres and ‘your call is important to us’ situations
- Mustering / accounting for people – networks can account for people (possible geo location additions)
Just some first thoughts as I work on a preso, what other impacts, uses or knock-on effects might there be?